Saturday, April 5, 2014

My Take on Nicole's Observations

In her most recent blogpost, Nicole presents an interesting point about media disruption in our lives today and how it has affected our ability to think.  She says that she cannot simply sit and think about things, because she "gets bored in seconds."  And she claims that this is a result of our comfort in "constant stimulation that fills our mind with meaningless chatter."  

Nicole's personal story really resonated with me when I thought about the last time that I have taken a moment to just sit and think, without the presence of technology.  This is a rare occurrence for me, but I do not necessarily think that it's because I would get bored easily or that I have a constant instinct to check my phone.

For me, I don't normally get an itching desire to check my phone at all times.  I would love to be able to sit in my car and listen to classical tunes, like her grandfather, but I simply do not have time.  Especially as a student, I feel pressure to spend every free moment that I have working on something productive.

I'm not necessarily saying that this a good thing- in fact, often times it leaves me stressed and burnt out.  But it is simply a result of our fast-paced society.  And although we may need to disconnect sometimes, I think technology has actually helped in making fast-paced life more bearable.

Take today for example... It's a beautiful seventy degree Saturday afternoon, but there's one problem. I have an endless amount of homework to try to complete by Monday.  I would love to relax outside and bask in the sun, but political science papers and journalism blogs are pulling me in another direction.

The solution:  I packed my book bag, set up camp outside of Caribou, whipped out my laptop, and have been able to enjoy the weather and company of others, while still completing my tasks for the day.


Technology has allowed me to bring leisure to my work.  Without my tech devices, I may previously have been confined to the library or a computer lab and missed the opportunity for some quality Vitamin D.  

Also, I do not think it is fair to blame technology for our inability to have long and undistracted thought.  Society's perceptions of productivity and free time are the main culprit of our constant need to be connected.  Fast-paced society limits me in having a few moments to myself to lay in the grass and people watch for an hour, but technology allows me to still enjoy moments that I may have previously missed.

Although our fast-paced lifestyle is to blame, I agree with Nicole in that, "it would be relaxing and enlightening to turn my brain and phone off for a while and to just think and absorb."  Every once in a while, we need to slow-down and enjoy the peace and bliss of doing nothing. 



No comments:

Post a Comment