Sunday, February 23, 2014

Video Virtual Reality is a Reality

In class last week, Professor Robinson urged us to contemplate what would enhance our video viewing experience.  After breaking up into groups and collaborating, the class came up with some interesting proposals.  Some simply wanted clear, faster, and free video.  My group (with obviously the best idea) wanted video and television funded by interactive and viewer-controlled advertising. But the overwhelming majority of my classmates desired a device on which they could watch video anywhere they wanted, in any position.

One group suggested a bracelet design with a 3D projection of the video, but the more plausible design was of wearable glasses (maybe google glass in mind).  The class unanimously agreed that all propositions were foreseeable developments within five to ten years.

Well.. I would say that we may have overestimated a little bit.  

Those who sought to perfect their viewing experience with glasses that play video, look no further.  There's no need to wait five years, or even one year for that matter.  Avegant has created "Glyph"- a personal viewing system, resembling a set of headphones.  Glyph actually does operate as headphones, until the user pulls the visor over their eyes, enabling them to watch any media connected - similar to the class' idea of viewing glasses.



Sounds pretty awesome to me, aside from the fact that the Glyph comes at a steep price of $499 dollars.  While it may not be too expensive to some, I would not place personal value on the device at half of a thousand dollars.  I experience most of my video intake through my laptop, which is usually positioned only one foot further from my face than the headset would be.  Perhaps though, avid movie and film watchers would disagree.  

It may be a fun new tech-toy, but I think its popularity among individuals will be based on personal preference. For example, I think I would enjoy being able to completely lie down to view my nightly episode of "Grey's Anatomy," but I'm not sure if my eyes would necessarily appreciate something so close.  And I'm not sure my wallet would either.

Another point to take into consideration is that the Glyph's visor would inhibit a wearer's ability to multitask.  With the band occupying the majority of vision, there would be little room for a sneak peak at your twitter feed or a quick response to a text message.  This would necessitate the user to adjust the visor to complete an additional task.  In the fast world of constant communication and social media interactions, would potential consumers be willing to surrender valuable multitasking time to focus their full attention on a television show or movie?  My guess is that they wouldn't.


No comments:

Post a Comment