Sunday, March 9, 2014

Same Engagement, Different Gadget




As more and more of social media and daily internet tasks become accessible on mobile devices, we find ourselves on our phones more than ever.  Although I can access practically anything that I want from the Internet on my phone, often times I find myself waiting to use my laptop to read or watch something that I could potentially view on my cellular device.

A few examples of this include important e-mails, articles, and videos.  Whenever I receive an e-mail, it primarily sends to my phone, where I open it.  If it is unimportant I delete it or ignore it, but if it demands further attention, I usually scan through it and wait until I am on my laptop to proceed with further action.

Also, whenever I see a tweet, Facebook post, or coincidentally, a rebel mouse post that contains a more lengthy article that interests me, I wait to read it fully on the computer.  I find it difficult to read something of longer length on my cell phone, and I easily become distracted or disinterested. With video, I usually forget trying to watch it on my phone altogether, simply because YouTube's buffering and slow speed on mobile makes the video quality lower and more difficult to watch.

I find myself constantly switching between technologies, which makes it pretty easy to overlook something that I may have opened on my smartphone and reserved for later.

This daily switch between tech devices proved to be common through a recent study that I read about in this Mashable article.  The study showed that over half of individuals who use two or more devices, switch devices to complete a task (usually from a smartphone to a computer or tablet).  

The research presented suggests that marketers should not only make sure their platforms are specialized for mobile devices, but should also be accessible by all appropriate technology devices.  

As far as cell phone accessibility, I think that news organizations and advertising need to make adapted services for mobile users that include perhaps shorter snippets of stories (like twitter) and higher quality picture and video.  In addition, they need to make sure their services and stories are available, engaging, and relatively similar on all types and forms of devices.

No comments:

Post a Comment