Sunday, March 30, 2014

Singing in the Rain



I have always been a frequent user of music apps that allow you to listen to playlists based on your current mood.  While others frequently turn to pandora or spotify, I visit services like 8tracks and Songza.  On both applications, I can select one or two words that describe how I'm feeling or the type of music that I am in the mood for, and it will direct me to a list of playlists that match my selections.




These types of music-listening tools are good for people who want to let others make their music decisions for them.  I have trouble deciding what specific songs I want to listen to, so I leave it up to Songza.  

Technology is getting closer and closer to being able to decide exactly what we want.  Eventually, it will know what we want before we know ourselves.  Songza took one step closer to this knowledge when it joined with the Weather Channel to coordinate weather conditions with music choices. 

This is genius for Songza, because two significant indicators of mood are music and weather.  Songza is combining the two to create a new level of listening experiences based upon mood.  And for people, like me, who don't like to make decisions for themselves, it's perfect!

Personally, I almost always alter my music preferences based on the weather.  When it's raining and miserable out, you'll most likely find me listening to calm acoustic or blaring some heartbreaking Adele.  When the first beautiful and warm day of late spring arrives (still waiting this year), I immediately hop in my car, roll the windows down, and cruise to upbeat anthems of summer.  

But imagine if these songs were determined for me, before I even had a chance to check the weather. I could get in my car, turn on Songza and have the music that I want to listen to ready to be played.  

Songza's new feature allows you to choose a playlist based on the weather.  For example, a thunderstorm may offer potential mood selections of "relaxing and soothing," "anxious and nervous," or "angry and brooding." In addition, the addition of weather-based choices will allow Songza to identify certain changes in a user's routine or mood with changes in weather- consequently, furthering their ability to offer suggestions that predict your mood more accurately in the future.

Some might argue against allowing technology to decide your mood for you.  I agree that this ultimately could cross boundaries and potentially limit our preferences. But.. if you know that the weather usually affects your mood anyways, why not utilize a convenience service that delivers music to match your preferences.  

I know that I will.  





No comments:

Post a Comment