Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Hump Day Humor

Just a little entertainment for this frigid Wednesday:





This video got me thinking of my own social media habits.  While I may not be the typical selfie-taker, I definitely feed into these gender stereotypes.  

All jokes aside, the ideas highlighted in this video are just more examples of how our generation uses social media platforms as a forum for attention and self-promotion.  

I think Katie put it best, when she said, "In this digital age, the word "narcissistic" can be frequently used to describe the majority of people in the world who have any form of social media."  Not only has social media turned many users into self-obsessed individuals, but it has created a platform for gender stereotyping.

I think that watching a male imitate the stereotypical actions of a female on social media is quite humorous.  However, it then makes me question if a female performing the same action may be actually embarrassing.  It's embarrassing for users to perpetuate these stereotypes, yet we find ourselves doing it all the time.

To exemplify my own experience with these gender roles, I have posted some examples from my own social media accounts.  Not my proudest moment. Enjoy.









No comments:

Post a Comment